Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Introductions

Hello to anyone who cares to read and follow along.  As my information says, this blog will be my personal running journal and general soap box for my future running (and possibly other related hobby) adventures.

So a bit about me, hopefully only the important stuff.  I am a young man in my mid-20s, married for a little over 2 years, living a relatively average life.  I am a structural engineer for a living (a Virginia Tech graduate, for you Hokie fans out there), but my passion is running.

I ran track and cross country throughout high school, but chose beer as my extracurricular activity in college.  Okay, so I technically tried out and didn't make the team my freshman year.  Then I joined the drinking team.

Now I'm out in the world, with spare time, desire to compete, and disposable income - three things which I did not have in college.  It's about time to have some success as a runner.  World class?  Probably never.  But big fish in a little pond?  I could live with that.  I am also a prolific reader of sports science research, as an engineer I cannot stand not knowing the "why" behind the different aspects of training and racing and nutrition and everything else involved in running, so I endeavor to teach myself about these things.

The most pertinent question then is, who cares?  Why should you read this blog?  Why am I blogging at all?  Well hopefully some runners somewhere out there care.  I keep a straight facts, short descriptions mileage log for the purpose of tracking progress, but that doesn't always provide enough of an outlet.  Sometimes, as a runner, you have things you want to say that don't really matter to your running log, they don't really matter to your wife (who is not a runner, by the way), opinions and thoughts that really only other runners will "get".  What better place than the internet to share these?

So to those of you who follow along, or just pop in to check this out, welcome.  I promise to try to be witty and sincere, informative and entertaining, heartfelt and from the heart.  And as mentioned in my profile, I'll do my best to avoid being snarky and juvenile, but I make no guarantees, as I often have the sense of humor of a 14 year old boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Cool! Click Here! Subscribe!