Thursday, November 3, 2011

Come Here Often?

I've been too long since my last post.  But I've got good reason - I just didn't know exactly what I wanted to say.  I spent so much time and effort in the lead up to my PE Exam, and now that it is over and I've got my life back, I kind of got a little drunk off of the laziness.  Being able to relax and do nothing for the past 5 or 6 days has just been too good, and too easy.  No post race letdowns this year, but wouldn't you know it, I end up with a post-exam letdown.

I'm healthy again!  My cold has finally backed off, and I am ready to face the frigid November mornings of the WV mountains.  Somehow we missed the intermediate step, so I've been freezing while running this week.  We had a stretch of 50 degree mornings - PERFECT running weather.  Now in the morning when I lace up my shoes, it's 35 (or colder).  Not so perfect, but it would be a hell of a lot more manageable if I'd gotten a few weeks of 40 degree weather to help me ease into it.

So after a little down time for illness and academics, I'm easing back into mileage and lifting - and my body is not happy about it.  I went from a little sore on Monday night, to very sore on Wednesday morning, to walking a little odd today -  this is from two runs and two sessions of lifting.

I'll finish off this post with three recent revelations.

1.  I've missed out on a lot of good picture opportunities.  I'm going to start taking my camera with me more to help remedy this - my phone is the cheapest thing imaginable, it does not have a camera.  And now that the camera has fresh batteries, maybe I'll finally take some shots to add to the blog.

2.  When your legs are sore, move them often.  Stand shoulder width apart, and squat until your butt touches the ground.  Do this about every hour or so.  It will hurt, but it does prevent you from walking around looking like a goose with arthritis.  Be discreet about these squats, however, else you risk a coworker coming by and asking you why you look like you are pooping in the floor.

3.  New awesome must read blog!  Lauren Fleshman is the best female 5k runner in America right now, and she's prepping to run her first marathon in New York this weekend.  Her blog is great - she's witty, has an easy writing style, and is very knowledgeable about the things that go on in a runner's head while training and racing.  I highly suggest giving it a read (look at me, I'm a link!).


Also, I'm looking for suggestions for running-related sports-sciency topics to research and learn more about, then possibly turn into a post (or several posts). 

1 comment:

  1. It would also be embarrassing if you farted during that squat while your coworker is standing there.

    Maybe you could do something about motivation, because as usual I've got none.

    ReplyDelete

Be Cool! Click Here! Subscribe!