Monday, April 25, 2011

Malfunction

So I know I claimed there would be posts all week about my running and bridge inspection adventures in Moorefield, WV.  Apparently the South Branch Inn in Moorefield had other plans.

I couldn't keep an internet connection for more than 3 minutes at a time.  Those 3 minutes had to be spent on work stuff, such as downloading my emails and such.  Not only do I have actual work stuff going on, but I'm currently the team captain for my office's Susan G. Komen team, and team packet pickup was last week (more on that later).

So what did you miss?  I'll try to be brief, really only a couple of good stories from the road:

I had a nice interval run on Monday, no idea how far, but I did 15 reps of one minute at race effort, one minute jogging rest.  Tuesday I did a fairly hard 7 mile run in the mountains, the scenery was nice, there were some cows (moo).  We went to the restaurant across the street (The Stray Cat, a Mexican bar and grill) for dinner, and a few drinks.  I ate some very very hot wings, and ended up with heartburn.  About 9 I decided the best way to deal with it was to go back across the street and have a couple of more beers and watch basketball.  When I got there, a couple of guys who'd been there drinking all evening were causing trouble and wouldn't leave.  They argued for a while, the bartender threatened to call the cops, the dishwasher threatened to meet them out back for a fight, but finally they left and I got to relax, have another beer, and watch the ball game.  My heartburn just wouldn't give up, so I walked up the street at about 11 to the gas station and get something for it.  On the way back, the bartender from The Stray Cat was driving by and gave me a ride back to the hotel.

Wednesday I got a terrible sunburn and felt like crap the rest of the week.  Wednesday afternoon, we encountered a big black snake laying on one of the rails in the sun.  My inspecting partner apparently isn't so good with snakes - meaning sometime in the future, I will be purchasing a rubber snake for inspection trips.  I managed to hold down the snakes head, grab it, and toss it off the bridge into the woods, easy as pie!  I can now add snake wrangler to my (exceptionally long) list of qualifications.  Boring weekend, didn't get to visit my family on Easter because of the trip here for inspection this week, and my grass hasn't been mowed for over 2 weeks because of the weather.

Speaking of this week, I am now in Elkins, WV, up in the mountains.  The Holiday Inn Express has a much more reliable internet connection, meaning I can not only take care of work things, but also hobbies like blogging.  I should be able to find something good to write about this week.  I plan to run everyday if possible, today included - but I've still got to measure what I did today to find out how far it is.  Less than 2 weeks until I race!

1 comment:

  1. I know how the limited internet time goes. I live in a cabin next to my dad's house. I have to get on his back porch, pull up all the blogs I want to read, then go in and read them. I decided to stay on the porch just a little longer so I could comment on yours. Although, I'm just now going in to read it all the way through. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Be Cool! Click Here! Subscribe!