Monday, June 13, 2011

Insert Cheesy Quote Here

So I've been away with a longer gap between posts than usual.  Not that nothing is happening, nor that I haven't been training hard as usual, I just haven't really had much of a spark of inspiration for writing.

Also, we've had 3 separate visits from house guests in the past week.  3.  While this might seem like an inconvenience to some people, I've discovered that it is a good idea to lump your house guests into the same time period - you only have to clean the house really thoroughly once, rather than 3 separate time.

The past week has been business as usual for me running, mostly.  I did some 200m repeats instead of 400m repeats to try and incorporate some speed into my running diet.  I did my long run this weekend.  Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing exciting or adventurous happening while I ran.  I could use something exciting while running, something to shake things up.  Maybe a land mine.  Or an angry goose.  Wait, geese are kind of big.  An angry duck then.

I went for a swim at the Y on Saturday morning, and realized a couple of things.  The first thing is that I am not very good at swimming.  I thrash.  I have no idea how to time my breathing, resulting in me breathing a lot of water.  I'm not afraid of the water, I wouldn't drown if suddenly tossed in.  But I'm sure many people watching me swim are thinking, "He does realize it's only 4 feet deep, right?"  My swimming could be considered as analogous to my dancing.  I am white, which is all I'll say about my dancing.

My second realization is that I'm not nearly as clever as I sometime think.  I was showering after my swim, lost in my thoughts about how I can improve my swimming technique so that I don't look like a marionette that has been tied to a ceiling fan.  I could smell body wash from the stall beside me, maybe Old Spice, then something with a fresh mint smell, when an odd thought came to me.  People would probably get a lot more bent out of shape over someone peeing in the shower at the Y than someone peeing in the pool at the Y.  Which is nuts, since you don't accidentally swallow water from the shower drain.  This thought really made me happy, I was already considering how to phrase this as my Facebook status when I got home, oh clever me.  Then I look down, and see a toothbrush.  Laying on the shower floor from the next stall.  And I realized what the mint smell meant.  And then I didn't feel so clever.


So, training is going well, I'll keep the blog updated on how that's going this week, since I'm less than 2 weeks away from another race.  I've also decided on a redesign of the blog.  I've been using the cookie-cutter template with very little personalization - I was so eager to move in that I didn't bother with redecorating.  It's time for a change, and in future posts I plan to try to include a lot more picture.  People like pictures, you don't have to read pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Cool! Click Here! Subscribe!