Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My Missing Week, Part 2 (and Miscellaneous Stuff)

My posting is still going to be sporadic for a few weeks.  We met our first work deadline, but still have lot to do before the next one, so I could be doing long hours and weekend work - I worked Saturday and Sunday this past weekend.

But I'm not letting that stop me from training.  I've got a half marathon to get ready for on Labor Day weekend, and I don't plan to go into it unprepared.  I picked up a solid 6 mile tempo run Monday, at a sub-7:40 pace - I plan to try to run my race at a 7:40 pace and squeak in under 1:40 with a push at the end.  A bit ambitious, but I've still got time to work on it.  8 mile tempo run coming up on Thursday, shooting for an 8 minute pace.  If the morning temperature will cooperate, I should be able to breeze through this one.

So, where was I in regaling you with tales of my week at camp?  Oh yea, I was complaining about the heat.  Enough outright complaining then.  Some other fun things that I was in charge of for the week were supervising dodge ball, and teaching an origami class.  The only available location for dodge ball was the show ring at the livestock barns (the campgrounds are used for a ton of things, not just 4-H camp).  The room is the perfect size for playing, but the floor is covered in wood chips for the shows, making it really dusty.  So 90 degree temperatures (more like 110 inside the building), 90% humidity, and a couple dozen kids kicking up thick clouds of dust.  Great idea, right?  After about 5 minutes of playing, everyone has a moist coat of sweaty dust on them.  We eventually commandeered the tennis courts later in the week when they weren't in use, allowing the kids to play outside.

As for origami, I'm far from an expert.  Or skilled.  Or even moderately good at it.  But compared to a 12 year old who has never done it, I'm pretty qualified as a teacher.

I think that's all for now, I've been trying to write his post for 2 days in between long stretches of work.  I may try to post again tomorrow or Friday about my tempo run.  We are making a quick trip down to the Outer Banks this weekend to take care of some business, so I won't have internet until I get back Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Cool! Click Here! Subscribe!