Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Running a Little Hot

So the Outer Banks trip wasn't too bad.  A lot of driving for only being down there one day, but it wasn't meant to be a trip for fun, we had actual things to take care of.  We did manage to squeeze in a little time at the beach though, and since I'm here to type this, you can safely conclude that I wasn't arrested for any road-rage related incidents during the 20+ hours of driving I did.  It rained most of the afternoon on Saturday, but a day at the beach is still better than one at work, even in the rain.


The Beach House


I didn't do a long run this weekend.  I had intended to run 11 miles Saturday morning, but events conspired to keep me from getting into bed at a reasonable hour.  If I don't sleep, I cut back mileage/intensity to compensate.  So instead I went out for a 5 mile run on the beach.  It felt nice at the time, but left my calves sore for a couple of days.

My running schedule is a bit screwy right now.  Normally, I'd want 2 hard workouts, one long run, and a couple of maintenance runs during the week.  Since my conditioning isn't quite back from the time off, I can't do that.  I've been running 2 tempo runs each week, which are kind of long, and no long run.  We'll see how that works out for me.

Today's tempo run went pretty well, 8 miles at a 7:50ish pace.  My target was anything between 7:40 and 7:50, so I'm right on track with that.  It is pretty warm and humid here in the mornings right now - today was 74 and overcast, so the heat felt stuffy and oppressive.  About a mile from home my face started feeling flush.  There was a light breeze, but I didn't feel it on my face.  Not good.  I got on home, got some cold water, and took extra time to walk around for my cool down.  I'm not even going to play around with the idea of heat exhaustion.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Adam,

    I would like to follow up with you on a note that you left for me on yahoo answers. However I do not see a way to contact you directly.

    Ken Schafer
    krschafer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Be Cool! Click Here! Subscribe!