Monday, January 31, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

I did end up doing my tempo run on Friday, and the weather backed off and wasn't nearly as bad by the time 5 o'clock rolled around.  It was a VERY good run, hit all of my targets, finished extremely tired.  The kind of run that makes you feel like you've done some good training.  Based on how this week has felt, I've come to accept a slower pace of mileage buildup than I had originally planned for.  Up until now I'd been calling it lazy.  Now, I think I have to call it unavoidable.  This is the Good.

I skipped my weekend runs again.  Scheduling wouldn't allow me to run Saturday, so I figured I'd miss that one.  There was no excuse for not running yesterday.  I wasted what will probably be the nicest weather I'll see for the next month.  And I haven't lifted weights since Tuesday, but I am chalking that up to the increased intensity of my running.  That was the Bad.

And the Ugly?  All you can eat pancakes at IHOP.  I didn't even eat that many, they just weren't that good.  Neither was the service.  I think I am cursed.  At some point, one of my ancestors must have angered a Gypsy or maybe they were present at one of the Salem Witch trials.  Whatever caused it, I have somehow been afflicted with The Curse of Minor Inconvenience.  I always get the worst server at a restaurant.  Or the new waiter.  I can't stand in place at Wal-mart for more than 2 minutes, because I will suddenly be surrounded by dozens of other shoppers who also need the items on that isle.  I cannot remember EVER getting a shopping buggy that had 4 fully functioning wheels and didn't veer to one side.  Oh yea, and there was the time that the TREE FELL ON MY CAR IN THE WORK PARKING LOT.  None of these things are major happenings in the grand scheme of my life (except the tree, which is a story for another time), just minor inconveniences.  The kind of things that happen to other people 30% of the time, happen to me 80% of the time.

Oh well.  This weekend I hope to pick up at least 1 more day of running, bringing me to 5 days this week.

2 comments:

  1. I work in retail, so I'm all too familiar with the "stop and be surrounded" phenomenon. Your workouts are making me want to raise the bar on my training. first, I'll get the bar out of the closet. Then I'll raise it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alecia, you can't be too hard on yourself. I've spent my entire first month of this blog being too hard on myself for skipping days and being lazy, I think I'm done with that. Get the bar out this week. Worry about raising it later.

    ReplyDelete

Be Cool! Click Here! Subscribe!