Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Losing Sleep, Gaining Perspective

Another weekend of "failure".  I put it in quotes, because I am questioning the meaning of the word, and when it is appropriate.  Did I do a long run this weekend?  No.  Did I run both days (or either, for that matter)?  Well, no.  Was I really expecting to?

We went on a day trip to visit friends on Saturday.  I had already accepted that I wouldn't be running.  It isn't really fair to call Saturday a failure, I did exactly as planned.  On Sunday I was planning an easy run at best.  I have already dropped the diagnostic run from my schedule, my other workouts have given me what I need to decide on a training pace, and with the unpredictability of the weather, there's no guarantee that my results would be meaningful.

And speaking of the weather...

We had a cold snap this weekend.  I draw the line at running below certain temperatures.  So Sunday was a LEGITIMATE DAY OFF.  I've done well not skipping weekdays, and the weather this week is looking perfect for some serious training.

Why do I feel guilty when I see those zeros in my running log?  I think I need to adjust my wiring, all of this writing about goals and declaring things just for the sake of holding myself to my word has knocked me out of focus.  Typically I'm very good at accepting things that should be accepted, and only applying my energies where they are really needed.  Feeling bad about skipping runs that should be skipped is just spinning my wheels.

This week I start tempo runs.  My goal is to work on some race pace running, trying to get my body back accustomed to working up near the lactic threshold while I continue to ease into my training and increase my volume.  My fartlek runs went well, I'm a little behind on mileage but I'm getting there.  My weight lifting has gone almost too well - I'm starting to feel the weight room bug biting me again, that little (but deep and very manly) voice saying "add another 5 pounds, keep pumping..."  I still need to add in lower body work, which is scheduled for Friday.

I need to get into bed.  I've somehow allowed my internal clock to get scrambled (sleeping in on the weekends?), and even though I need to be up by 6, I can't seem to get into bed before 11:30.  It isn't that I'm busy, I'm not even that interested in the things I'm wasting time on.  The lack of down time is starting to accumulate, I feel terrible this morning.  I think I need to force myself into bed at 10 tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Cool! Click Here! Subscribe!